EDISON STANDARD PHONOGRAPH
This Edison Standard Phonograph, made by the Edison Co. around 1884 to 1888, was at one time known as a "Talking Machine". These machines were the first to reproduce voice and music by mechanical means. The cylinder records came in lengths of both 2 and 4 minutes and it took quite a bit of effort to play them! "Talking Machines" were spring-wound with a crank. They had to be rewound just about every single time a record was played. Wind-up phonographs, also known as Victrolas, were the main source of entertainment in the home.
Neighbours from near and far would gather to listen to the newest "'marvel" of modern scienc. This Victrola came with an oak case and a lid with carrying handle, along with a boom to support the hand-decorated horn.
Donated by Mr. Roy Birnie